Monday, March 9, 2009

Work Friends and Erik's Home for Spring Break

Greetings!

It's Monday, the day after daylight savings, and every year it bothers me. Not the time change, that's fine, it's the people that can't handle it. "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO WAKE UP AN HOUR EARLIER!!!" Relax. It's really not the end of the world. It's an hour, deal with it....And then you get these people on Monday who ask what time you woke up today, and I reply "6am" or whatever, then they proceed to say, "the new 6 or the old 6?" Jesus, I don't know, I woke up and my clock said 6. Since I'm a normal human being and change my clocks the day of (which is Sunday), I guess that means I woke up at the "new 6." Alright, enough ranting about people....

So last week I was thrown into a training class Monday morning since my boss had to change his schedule. It was a bit last minute, but luckily I was able to shift my schedule around in order to make it work, and it turned out to be awesome. The class in itself was just alright. I learned some stuff and shared some laughs with some people throughout the days, but whatever, I have come to expect that with training classes. The cool part was the people I met in the class, Jason, Pierre and Katrina. They were all very cool people.

So throughout the week we kind of befriended each other and talked during breaks and stuff, pretty standard. However, on Thursday, they were planning on driving up to Muir Woods after class and then checking out San Francisco since some of them had never been. They invited me to go along with them which was definitely the right decision. Luckily we got out of our class earlier than expected....just a little after noon, so we had plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the day. As I drove up north with them in the car, I tried to point out the "landmarks" of the west side of the bay area. These included Apple Headquarters, The Linear Accelerator, and of course, the "Flintstone House." Anyway we stopped just over the Golden Gate to take some pictures and stuff, but then kept on heading north until we got to Muir Woods, which is just about 15 minutes farther, so it wasn't too bad at all.

The woods were really cool. It was cold and damp, mostly because it had been raining that morning, but also because we were literally in the middle of a forest and the sunlight didn't reach the ground too often. It was pretty cool though, we walked a few miles on some trails and had some good talks. Everybody was keeping an eye out for an Ewok, but unfortunately we didn't find any....they must have been hiding. Katrina had a bit of a problem with staying on the trail...she was really excited to go stand next to the big stumps and things, which was actually really funny, and honestly nobody cared she was off the trail.

So when we finished up there we headed back across the Golden Gate and into San Francisco. We drove by the Palace of Fine Arts which everybody seems to be in awe of, but I just know if from a scene in The Rock. I don't know what else is special about it, but again I'm not a very "artsy" guy. Anyway we drove down Lombard Street, not on request, I just thought they'd like to do that, and then headed to Union Square. I took them up the glass elevators in the St. Francis hotel which of course scared me to death. I love those things but I am deathly afraid of heights. So when we made it back down to the safety of the ground, we walked around the corner and found a place to eat dinner. Pierre enjoyed a Guinness while I had a simple Sierra Nevada, and then Katrina and I split a bottle of white wine. Jason drove us home afterwards.

The car ride home was pretty fun. Had some good laughs and shared some stories. Then while we were on the way to my house (they were dropping me off), I asked if they were up for having a beer or two at The BW, otherwise known as The Boardwalk. Of course they agreed and we headed there. I taught them what a "Peanut Race" was and they fell in love with that. It was really a fun time. Pierre offered to drive from there and I'm pretty sure Katrina's exact words were, "Let's get wasted!" Anyway a few pitchers of Anchor Steam later, and multiple peanut races, we were all definitely under the influence. It was time to head out so they dropped me off and I said my goodbyes. I don't know when I'll be seeing them again but I hope it's sooner than later, they are all very good people. For reference: Katrina and Jason work at BAE in Johnson City, NY and Pierre is in Rockville, MD.

The rest of the weekend I will recap quickly - Friday I worked, got off early afternoon, ran errands with my brother (who is home for spring break) and then just hung out that night. Made a cameo appearance at 1st and Main that night, then went home - Saturday was more errands, and it was beautiful weather so we walked to the high school and played catch with a baseball, football, and then a little frisbee. Thomas and Bryan were with us too. Went home from there and had a beer or two, Dad got home from his baseball game and took us to 1st and Main for another beer, then came home and bbq'd dinner, played drinking games afterwards and had a good night, fell asleep watching Tremors which is always awesome - Sunday was pretty lazy, after sleeping in of course we bbq'd hot dogs for lunch and watched Body of Lies, not bad, but nothing spectacular, then cleaned out the garage which wasn't very fun but at least the jeep is able to be driven again, plus I'm ready for good weather so I can drive it around. After that just hung out a bit, then went to dinner with my dad's old police partner and his family, then called it a night.

Great times last Thursday. I guess I probably should've blogged on Friday so this one wouldn't be so long but oh well. The weekend was pretty regular, nothing too crazy happened. It was great weather though and I'm really looking forward to the summertime. Just 4 days and I'll be in Scottsdale for Spring Training so luckily I don't have to wait too long for warmth and baseball.

See you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment