Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Super Bowl Weekend

Howdy All Cal Fans,

I hope everybody is recovering nicely from Super Bowl Sunday, even though the Steelers won, it was still a great day. Yes, that’s true, I was hoping the Cardinals could pull off an upset, and they almost did, which made it a pretty exciting game. The day in general was an overall success. I think the first beers were cracked around 2:30, still fighting my hangover from Saturday’s wine tasting/going out in SF. So here’s a recap.

Friday was fairly low key. After putting in 49 hours of work last week, I was exhausted. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to break any records or anything; I know many of you work way more than that, but it’s still a lot, and it made me tired. So that night I went to our local “beer and pizza” place, nicknamed The BW, but otherwise known as The Boardwalk. Sorry Santa Cruzers, not the Beach Boardwalk, this one is in Los Altos. Met up with some buddies there and had a few “peanut races” during dinner. Overall a good time but nothing too exciting. Followed that up by going back home and putting in Rambo (4) since one of my friends hadn’t seen it yet. The best description I have heard of the movie is, “Chopping Dudes in Half with a Machine Gun, which is exactly as Awesome as it Sounds.” You just can’t argue with it. It’s a fantastic movie.

Saturday morning came early as my dad and I needed to catch an 8:15am train up to San Francisco for an annual wine tasting at Fort Mason. The same place Beerfest is held every year, but instead of one warehouse like for Beerfest, this has two. The wine tasting lasted from 10-1 and we tasted quite a few wines. The one disappointment that I had was that I didn’t discover anything new. All of our favorites were ones we have been drinking for years. Nonetheless it was an overall good time. My dad went home from there and I stayed up in the city with my buddies Tim and Zach. We decided not to waste the buzz I had from the wine tasting, so we started up some day drinking which lasted into the night.

A few hours later two other friends, Bryan and Andrew, drove up to San Francisco to meet up with us for the night. We went to our other friend’s 25th birthday party and taught all of them how to play “flip cup.” They technically already knew how to play; we just taught them how to do it well. After a few hours of hanging out there, we decided to go back to meet up with Tim and Zach for the rest of the night since we were crashing at their place later. I’m pretty sure at one point Tim brought us to an unofficial brothel in the middle of the city, it was quite a strange place, but it was getting close to the end of the night anyway, so after a beer or two there we headed home.

Sunday morning came and hit us all like a ton of bricks. Headaches all around, somebody was drinking water from a soup bowl, and we passed around the bottle of Advil. The drive home didn’t help us feel better, but since we got home early, there was time for a couple hour nap before the super bowl, which pretty much saved me. About 15 people came over for the bowl, and there were tons of food and drinks to go around. Nobody was super drunk, everybody just enjoyed a few throughout the game and it was a great time. Played a little catch at halftime in the front yard with Thomas and Adriana, always fun to do while it’s 70 degrees out. After everybody left and we cleaned up, I was tired. Went to bed around 9pm and just immediately fell asleep. It was a much needed rest after a long, but very fun weekend.


To get back to the All Cal website, please click here.

1 comment: